The 2011 Handbook for Employers provides improved instructions and visual aids on a variety of topics related to Form I-9. Some of the changes made include:
Expanded guidance on photocopying and retention
New guidance on breaks in service, mergers and acquisitions
Expanded guidance on lawful permanent residents
- Includes additional guidance for employers using notaries or other agents to complete Form I-9 on their behalf.
- Includes information on new legislation concerning Puerto Rico birth certificates.
- Clarifies the time frame within which employers must complete Section 2 of Form I-9.
- Adds questions and answers on completing Form I-9 for employees who present documents with slight misspellings, compound last names and married names.
- Adds an overview of FAR in E-Verify section of the Handbook.
- Removes Form I-9 from the Handbook, so that employers do not accidentally use outdated versions of the form when USCIS later make updates to it.